SMART (Substance Misuse and Abuse Reduction Team) is a Utah County coalition founded in 2007. SMART’s mission is to prevent and reduce alcohol, marijuana and prescription drug misuse/abuse among youth living in Utah County.
Strategic Prevention Framework.
The SPF process:
- Promotes youth development
- Reduces risk-taking behaviors
- Builds assets and resilience
- Prevents problem behaviors across the life span of the programs
The idea behind the SPF is to use findings from public health research along with evidence-based prevention programs to build capacity and sustainable prevention. This, in turn, promotes resilience and decreases risk factors in individuals, families, and communities.
SPF steps require states, territories, federally recognized tribes and tribal organizations, and communities to systematically:
- Assess their prevention needs based on epidemiological data
- Build their prevention capacity
- Develop a strategic plan
- Implement effective community prevention programs, policies, and practices
- Evaluate their efforts for outcomes
The SPF is built on a community-based risk and protective factors approach to prevention. Also, there is a series of guiding principles that can be utilized at the federal, state or tribal, and community levels.
Strategies SMART uses
Spectrum of Prevention
SMART uses the Spectrum of Prevention to choose interventions that are most effective. Using these interventions in a multifaceted approach brings about a lasting change.
Listed from most impact to least impact:
- Influencing policy and legislation
- Changing organizational practices
- Fostering coalitions and networks
- Educating providers
- Promoting community education
- Strengthening individual knowledge and skills